Tuesday 4 December 2012

Water play

Many parents know what negative effects electronic devices can do to their little ones. Yet they continue letting their children indulge in playing games and watching videos on the phones/tablets because they ran out of ideas to keep the kids occupied.

Channel News Asia carried an article recently, cautioning parents not to let toddlers below three be too familiar with mobile devices. Instead, parents should allow their children interact with the environment.

Let me suggest an alternative! Allow your toddler have some fun with water! It probably will not replace the time on iPad fully, but it is a much healthier activity.

Water/sand/play dough/bubble play are very common playtime activities in childcare centres. These are the sensory-play. Teachers let the children explore the items with their own creativity.

Water play is good for a child's cognitive and physical growth. The act of pouring, cupping the water and sprinkling will improve his eye-hand coordination and develops his hand muscles. Be surprised by other little things he can learn through a simple activity like this.



Some parents would choose to allow their child soak in the tub while playing. I prefer not, in case he catch a cold.




Here's a short video of Elric's first water play session!







Things to Note:

1. Supervise ALL THE TIME:
Kids are kids. They do not know the danger. Even if the water level is low, drowning can happen. Be cautious all the time.

2. Water temperature:
I prefer keeping the water warm to prevent him from catching a cold. You can always choose to use cold/tap water.

3. Play music:

I personally like to play instrumental music while Elric play with water.
This is especially good to calm the children who tend to be more active.

3. Toys:

Here are a few toys I use to add to the fun.



I love these Munchkin alphabet bath letters! When wet, these letters will stick to the wall. Elric enjoys playing with them while I reinforce to him what the letters are. :)





Yes! This is a sponge! I bought it for washing dishes but decided to modify it for him to play. :P Sponge is a very good play toy during water play. Kids can explore soaking them and squeezing out the water. Elric would lift it up and water the water flow down.





This cute turtle is one of Elric's favourite as it sprays out water!





Finally, these are stackable cups with holes. Your child can scoop up the water and see it flow though the holes. :)


There are many other types of toys you can make use of during water play such as rubber ducky and flowering pot. For older children, you can include bottles and funnels for them to learn pouring.


There are also water play sets available for sale. Some of which combines water with sand play too!


Hope you will find this post useful!
Do let me know if you have other ideas so that I may explore them too!


Cheers,
Kaye

4 comments:

  1. Hi hi,

    I googled Tow Yung Clinic and found your blog. I'm going to see the Dr you recommended. Did you deliver at Gleneagles too? What was your experience like there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth!

    First of all, Congratulations! :D It's always a joy to know that a new life is 'in the making'!

    Thanks also for dropping by my blog. ^^

    Once you have decided on your gynae, half the battle is completed. I delivered in Thomas medical centre because I was told that the mid-wives and nurses are good. They will be your support during your delivery and give your advise during your stay.

    My personal experience at TMC was good but not fantastic. I believe it is partly because I gave birth during the "peak period" (31 Dec) and the nurses were short-handed on 1 Jan.

    I have heard great reviews on Gleneagles too. Most importantly is to know your needs and request for them. Don't be shy to ask and ask again. If you plan to breastfeed your baby, state it clearly to them so that they will quickly shower the baby to you and you can let him/her latch on quickly. My nurses waited 3-4hours before bringing my baby to me. :(

    Let me know if your have other questions!
    I hope this is helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaye,

    Thanks for your reply! I am thinking of delivering at TMC ('cos all my friends delivered there) but Gleneagles is super near my home. Well, won't know till much much later because I'm hardly out of my first tri anyway.

    You're a super pretty mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Thank you!

    Oh yes...distance is important if you intend for natural birth. You can have ample time to shower before heading to the hospital. If you can find a good PD from Gleneagles, it's even better. The PD can follow your baby through.:D

    ReplyDelete