Saturday 12 May 2012

TIME cover showing a mummy breastfeeding her going 4-year- old son

 

Latest TIME magazine cover shows a young mother and her going 4-year-old son, who stands on the chair, latching onto her breast.

Although I avocate breastfeeding and I respect her perseverance in providing breastmilk to her children, I am not so sure about this cover photo.
The topic about extended breast-feeding is itself a debate. What more showcasing of such photos. Obviously they are trying to strike a controversal debate amongst parents.


So what is the attachment parenting that prompted the mummy to breastfeed her sons this long?
This is what I understand:

Attachment parenting is a parenting philosophy that aims to nurture joyful, secured and emphatic children. In order to do so, parents and children need to build up a very strong connection and bond.

'Demand feeding' is one of the principles of attachment parenting. Feed the infant when he requests for it, stop when he rejects it. Bring the breast to the child once he cry or better still before he cries. As such, the mother and infant build up a strong bond during feeding. Infant also receives the security he needs when suckling and knowing that mummy is always there for him. Extended breastfeeding is therefore encouraged since is the a good bonding time. Even during weaning, parents are required to go through weaning process GENTLELY.

Some other methods and principles includes co-sleeping with child,constantly providing nuturing touch (carry, cuddle, hug child whenever requested) and positive discipline.


With all my previous blog posts about sleep training and child discipline, it is pretty obvious that I don't practice attachment parenting. I understand and respect their ultimate aim to nuture happy, kind and gentle kids. I just disagree with the method.

I believe spare the rod spoils the child. While I was never beaten by my parents, they were strict in their teachings an principles. I could seat and cry in the middle of a busy shopping mall and my mum would walk off without turning back. I just had to learn my lesson and follow behind.

Back to the topic on extending breastfeeding. That in the first place is not how a mother latches on the child.(-.-)"

Another picture in the article
This is closer, but not quite.
Regardless, breastfeeding a child who has started having long-term memory seems to be something that many mummies would shy away.

I am still feeding my 16-month-old son. I will still continue to breastfeed him. Will I continue after the age of 2? I am not sure. What I am certain is, nutritionally breast milk is what's best for my son. I will therefore provide what's best.

When he grows older, I may still provide him milk but technology had given me an option to express out and feed him using bottle.

What are your thoughts?

Love,
Mama Kaye

No comments:

Post a Comment