Saturday 12 May 2012

Son says to Dad, "What you DO speaks so loudly, I cannot hear what you say"



When this quote came to my mind, I thought to myself. Darn... What if my son says that to me one day?  How terribly that would be?

I certainly will not teach him bad things while doing all the good. 

All of us know what to teach our children be it the moral values, good ethics and manners. Of course we know the goods and bads but how are we teaching them to our children? We may just be saying one and doing another.

Remember this. Children learn by following not by listening.

The "What you DO speaks so loudly, I cannot hear what you say" will haunt you if you do not practice what you preach.

Scenario 1: Table Manners
It's dinner time and Dad hang on to his phone started checking on Facebook while mum is trying to coax the daughter to finish up the food. Daughter stands up, grab her phone and starts playing her games. Mummy got angry and scolded the daughter for walking off without finishing her food and not washing her dishes.

Daughter says," Dad is also on the phone! He didn't wash his dishes either! Why don't you scold him?!"


Scenario 2: Vulgarities
5 year old boy goes to pre school and hauled vulgarities at classmates. The school teacher contacts the Daddy and Mummy. Daddy and Mummy arrive and scold the son for being ill-mannered.

Dad says, "How can you be so rude? Where did you learn those from?"
Son replies, "From you."

We as parents are the greatest influencers to our children's. Consciously and subconsciously, they watch us daily and mimic all that we do. We should certainly avoid setting bad examples to our children.

Try listing out a few things you want your child to learn and make sure you SHOW them how they can do it.

So what are some characteristics I want my son to have?
These are just 1 simple example I can think of. I am certain no parents want their children to disrespect them. 

1. Respect/Honor our parents
What are somethings I can do to teach my son that Mama respects the people around me?
- Dad and Mum greet Grandma whenever they see her.
- Dad and Mum speak with Grandma with politeness, never raise their voices at her.
- Dad and Mum cares for Grandma especially when she is unwell.
- Dad and Mum visits Grandma regularly.

Let's work towards being a good role model to our children. There is no time to loose because their little eyes pick up little things very fast.

Love,
Mama Kaye

No comments:

Post a Comment