Friday 20 April 2012

Someone asked me why I had to skip my lunch...

Someone asked me why I had to skip my lunch for the entire week. 

Me: "I overspent on cab fare. I took cab 3 times in a week and had to save by skipping my lunch."
Her: "Why you so stupid! How much is your cab fare?" 
Me: "About $25 each trip because surcharge of $3 boarding at CBD, peak hours and ERP."
Her: Take MRT LAH!! Maximum $2.50 only what!" 
Me: "All I was thinking about, was to reach home in time to kiss my son good night." 


THIS IS AN IMAGINARY CONVERSATION I HAD WITH... MYSELF

What was the truth? 
Did I skip lunch? 
Yes. I skipped lunch so that I could do less OT and spend that LESS THAN 1 HOUR of time with my son everyday. 
Did I take cab? 
Yes. So that I could reach home as soon as I could.

This is the plight of a working mum. The plight of some/many Singaporeans. Something which the "high high up there" CANNOT understand and seriously DONT BOTHER TO UNDERSTAND. 

They said that Singaporeans are complaining too much and "Netizens are making too much noise" about EVERYTHING. Is it really too much to ask to survive with a decent living?


http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/-Train-disruptions-yahoofinancesgwp-4224888186.html

The local MRT system broke down pretty often recently. So much so that people are taking it as a norm. Even if there is no break down, there are many cases of delay. I count it a blessing that I stay in Seng Kang as NE line breakdown happens less frequent compared to the NS/EW/C line. 

Just yesterday, I saw online that SMRT is giving out excuse chit for workers and students who reach work late due to the breakdown. To me, this means that we will have to expect more breakdowns coming our way. Otherwise, why would they implement something like that? This, as a result, created an outcry on the internet.

"What's the big deal?? If MRT delay 2 hours, you have 2 hours less of work to do!" 

Let me tell you why it is the big deal. 
When I reach office 2 hours late, the likelihood is that I will need to stay in office for 2 hours more in order to complete my work to knock off. That also  means I will not get to spend time with my son, and have less time with my husband. 
THAT'S A VERY BIG DEAL TO ME! It's such a big deal that I'd rather give up my lunch in order to complete my responsibilities ASAP! 

I heard from some working parents who really want to knock off on the dot everyday. They want to spend time with their kids because they are noticing that the children are closer to the maid and there are nothing they can do about it. They work like horses in office just to earn that bit of money to support the family. What do they get? 

Children running to the maid when they got injuried...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH LOH.


Life is getting tougher

I think I am considered fortunate. I usually reach home latest by 8.30PM. My son sleeps at 9PM. Travelling time on MRT is about 1 hour (inclusive of walking from office to mrt and mrt to home).

It will save me 30min if I take cab, but that will cost me approx $25 due to $3 CBD charge, peak hour charge and the most hated ERP. The return is that I won't be as tired standing for an hour in a sardine-packed train, and I get that 30min with my son. I am not a high flyer who earn $10k-$20k a month. My family is currently surviving on a single income. $25 is a BIG THING.
Once awhile, I still choose to spend it because my priority is my family. I can refrain from shopping, no travelling, stop watching movies, don't buy my long awaited Galaxy Note, but I need to spend time with my family. 

Our daily expenses have increased by a lot in the recent years.

Transport fees: approx $150 ($5/day/person)
Food: $400 (3 meals a day plus a drink/person) 
This mean approx $1100 for 2 person.
This is considered a lower-than-average calculation.
What's more?
Utility bill/phone bill/internet bill ++++++
How about the kid? Just the diapers, milk powder and children clothes will cost a bomb.

There is nothing left to save. I am not exaggerating. If our expenses continue to rise, even the middle income people earning $2500 or more will find it hard to just survive.

Till then, I will really be skipping lunch because I have no money left for my meals.

Disheartened,
Mama Kaye




No comments:

Post a Comment